Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Technical Analysis

Whether you are a fan and are a rich technician laughing in the face of those who doubt you, a fundamentalist who scoffs at it, or just plain clueless, you need to be, at bare minimum, aware of it. What it is and how it works.

I would recommend Getting Started in Technical Analysis by Schwager. It's a fairly simple approach to the subject, and makes it very approachable for beginners.

Basically, it says that certain historical chart patterns form, and from that reasonable future predictions can be made, barring no fundamental changes. There really is no right or wrong; it's an art form. For some people it's a little to esoteric, they need a mechanical system that can be rigorously tested, and technical analysis is not that.

I am not a die hard technician, but I do find it useful, and every trade I have established using these ideas has made me a profit. I can't complain. There are also a lot of great blogs out there about the subject, Alpha Trends being my favorite.