Monday, July 21, 2008

A Fistfull of Cash

In the last third of 2006 I made a career change, a move and an intellectual paradigm shift. I packed what I could into two suitcases, and took a standby flight to Houston with $237 in my bank account.

My income was high, my expenses were low, I kept my debt to a minimum; and worked my rear into the ground. By the end of December I had an extra $3,000 in savings.

"Not Bad," I thought to myself. "I could go to Mexico and burn it all; sit on a beach for a week and drink rum runners until my tab dried up and they packed my poor lucid body back on a plane home."

No, I decided to invest it. I turned to my cousin and asked him, "What do I do?"

"Buy Exxon," he said. "You can't loose with fortune 1."

"And how do I go about doing that?" I asked.

"Personally, I like E*Trade," he said. "They give you a debit card, and a box full of checks, and will reimburse your ATM fees."

30 minutes later, I was filling out the form on-line, I was really on my way to being a big time investor.